I’ve decided to change the title from “Secret Identities” to “Suppressed Identities.”
Here's why.
Originally, I was thinking about how Jesus told the disciples not to tell anyone he was the Messiah. Like Batman or Superman - it's obvious to us who he is but for some reason, nobody in the story can figure out that he's the superhero.
And Moses? He even has this cool origin story where, as a baby, he’s set adrift in a basket only to be rescued from a terrible fate by a princess - and while she raises him as her own, everyone knows he’s different.
I kind of liked the whole “superhero” secret identity thing - hidden in plain sight, they’re mild mannered carpenters or - well, Moses might have been more of a Bruce Wayne since he was raised as a prince. But anyway, when the cry for help came, they would spring into action, raising the dead or bringing people out of slavery.
I really wanted to go there, but I think maybe it was wishful thinking. Because - to me at least - it feels like we need a superhero. I have spent the last few days - or weeks - depressed about the state of our country. And every article I read or listen to or watch, whether it be about what's going on right now or about our history - just makes me more depressed.
Which is kind of the point of the superhero, by the way. Superman was first published deep into the depression with war looming (also the period when Green Hornet, Batman, Flash, Captain Marvel among others appeared). People were depressed and scared - they needed more than regular heroes. They needed superheroes. And it didn't matter that they hid their identities with a pair of glasses or a flimsy mask.
There are a few problems with this secret identity theory. First, Moses’ identity might actually have been known to everyone, though the text makes it difficult to know for sure. The Princess surely knew he was a Hebrew, and I suspect Pharaoh knew she had to come up with the baby from somewhere.
Nevertheless, he was raised as a prince. I should note that our translation says his mother gave him over to the princess when he had grown up, but others say when he had grown older, which is a better interpretation.
Anyway, despite being raised as a prince, people knew he was a Hebrew - they just didn't talk about it.
Second, Jesus did not hide the fact that he had awesome power. He turned water into wine, he calmed storms, he walked on water, he healed the sick and raised the dead. So to say, “Don’t tell anyone I’m the Messiah” probably doesn't change people's impression that he’s someone special.
So…. If everybody knew who they were, why not talk about it? Why suppress it?
With Moses, it's complicated. He was from an oppressed people. Pharaoh officially wanted him dead. It was only by the princess’s word that he was spared and raised among royalty. But how would that look to the Hebrews? Could Pharaoh really have this Hebrew baby in the family? How could he justify continuing to oppress the Hebrews if he had one as a son?
So, even if people knew, Moses officially became Egyptian. He became one of the oppressors of his own people. He was raised to think Hebrews were inferior, born to serve Egyptians.
Who he was …. Wasn't secret, just suppressed. This may have kept him alive, but it wasn't the real Moses.
Jesus kept his Messiahship quiet only because the time wasn't right yet. For his mission, he needed the stage to be set properly. He needed to have time to show people first who he was before telling them. Even better if they could figure it out for themselves - knowing they could trust him by his actions before he ever said a word about his identity. Today, he checks their progress by asking who people think he is - and who they think he is. Still, you’ll notice that in three of the four gospels, Jesus never once calls himself the Son of God - and barely refers to his identity at all.
Rather, Jesus talks about and shows the power of God’s love. Once the foundation was laid through his teaching and miracles, then he could identify himself after the resurrection.
Had he said, “Look at me, I’m the Messiah!” before giving people a reason to believe, the truth of Jesus’ saving message would have been brushed aside.
There's another reason, I suspect, that the identities of both Moses and Jesus were suppressed rather than secret.
People needed to know their saviors. The Hebrews needed to recognize Moses when he returned to bring them out of slavery - and to recognize him as one of their own, even if he was identified with the oppressors. I mean, would they really have followed an Egyptian out of Egypt?
With Jesus, people had to know he was a Jew. Otherwise, his death and resurrection would have meant nothing. And the only way they could know he was a Jew was by knowing where he came from, knowing his family.
Superheroes are unknown, secret, other. God's heroes - even the Son of God - are one of us. We know where they come from. There may be reasons for their identities to be suppressed, but it's always temporary. Waiting to come out.
So, as much as I’d like one, I have no expectation of a superhero popping up in our time of need. But heroes of the biblical sort - people we know, people who can see suffering and pain and injustice in the world and spring into action to correct it? Well, you've been here all along. Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment