Tired of Confederate statues?
While there's still much to learn and discuss about them and their functions good and bad (just learned neat stuff today) ... sometimes you need a break.
So, for something completely different, here is a children's creation story I've been working on. In the course of my duties at St. James' Nursery School, I read A LOT of bible stories to the children. Sometimes, I get tired of them. The selection is not always the most age appropriate (my way of thinking), and often they way they're told leaves me uninspired. Frankly, what I would prefer is if Dr. Seuss had made a children's bible. He didn't, and I'm not him, but after years of reading out loud to the kids, I decided to take inspiration from him and start re-writing bible stories to read to the kids.
Here, then, is the first, the Creation.
THE BIG, THE FANTASTIC,
THE WORLD THAT GOD MADE
Welcome my friend
to the world all around you
It’s big and fantastic -
and I’m glad that I found you
To tell you how great
and amazing it is
It is so amazing,
and awesome, gee whiz!
To start, it was empty,
as empty as nothing
Just darkness and darkness
and darkness for stuffing
But God said, “I think
that it’s time I should make
A world full of life,
That is real and not fake.”
God thought up the world -
but thought something was wrong
So God thought some more,
and thought hard and thought long
And finally thought,
“I know just what is right.”
And with that one thought,
God said, “Let there be light.”
(The Light was called Day,
and the Dark was called Night)
Next came the sky
with fresh air you can breathe
There was water above it
and water beneath
But was that enough?
Not for God, no siree!
Just water and sky?
What fun would that be?
“Let’s make some land,”
said our God, “to go with ‘em.”
And thought, “This is good!
Now I’m getting a rhythm.
“So let’s make some more,
let’s make plants, let’s make trees
Let’s make plenty of vegetables -
the kid’s will love these!”
Now creation was growing
with more to come soon
Like lights in the sky
called the Sun and the Moon
On the fifth day or so
(whatever that means)
God said, “I want more;
let’s bring life to the scene
Let the waters have fishes
and whales, even squid
Let skies have some birds that can fly”
And they did!
And this too was good,
very good, I must say
But still there was work -
for at least one more day
To make up the tigers
and elephants, too
And otters and beavers,
and things that can chew
And then, let's make more -
I can think of a few
“At last I’ll make people,
I'll make girls, I'll make boys
I'll make children who bring me
all manner of joys”
And when God was finished,
God said, “This is good.
This world that I made
looks just as it should
“It’s got all that you need
to live a good life
I hope all my children
can live without strife.”
And when God was done -
good and done with creation
God said, “Now it’s time
for a little vacation.
I’ll just take a day
to sit down and to rest
But I do love this world -
in fact, it’s the best.”
So my friend, look around
at the earth - ain’t it great!
God made it for you,
and God made it first rate
So take care of your world -
it’s never too late.
Comments
Post a Comment