Skip to main content

Drop the Anthem?

First, let me apologize for not writing in a while - I just returned from a trip to Ireland visiting our son Chris.  Wonderful place other than the rain, the driving and the difficult take-off due to Hurricane Ophelia.
Now, there have been so many things going on in the world in the two weeks I’ve been gone that they are hard to all sort through.  Equifax and my stolen data....the “Me too” movement among women who have faced sexual harassment or abuse.... the ongoing nightmare of Puerto Rico’s Maria survivors.... the fires in California .... the white supremacists and their ongoing march toward a white America .... the president and his almost daily tweets that cause us to ask, “Did he really say that?” .... North Korea ... Obamacare as it becomes Trumpcare ....and on, and on, and on..................

Where do I begin?  
Oh yeah - the National Anthem!
We still have all this outrage because some NFL players take a knee during the national anthem.  Apparently, kneeling during the anthem violates some unwritten national law that says we have to stand with our hand over our heart and tears in our eyes at the glory of the anthem right before we root for our favorite team to tear the heads off of those other guys from that other, worthless, team.
The issue is complicated because those who are outraged have reframed the protest into something that it never was.  Those who don’t like the protests say that they are disrespecting the soldiers who fought for our freedom - even when kneeling was the suggestion of a former Green Beret.  
Playing the anthem was never to honor the troops.  That’s not its function.  It is not to honor the flag.  The flag is an inanimate object which is only good as a symbol - and then only as good as the values it represents.
But as the players have repeatedly said, the kneeling is not a protest against the soldiers or the flag or even the anthem itself.  Rather, it is an open acknowledgment that the promises of that flag and anthem have not been fulfilled for or even extended to millions of Americans because of their ethnic identity.  It is a protest of the values of America not being valued by far too many police, politicians, and others in power.
The howls of protest - by people who never complain about the hotdog vendors continuing to sell their wares during the anthem (as one small example) - are not about the flag.  They are about black people who are sick and tired of being treated as second-class citizens.
In response, white people, including the president, have threatened them, called them names, spit upon them, boycotted them - you name it.  Pretty classy, huh?  They say these players have politicized what is supposed to be an enjoyable escape from all the contention of the world.
That’s a lie.
They did not politicize the game.  It was already politicized.  
The moment team owners began playing the national anthem at the game, it became politicized.  Sports and the national anthem have nothing to do with each other - no more than going to the grocery store, and I’ll be hanged if I’m going to stand for the national anthem every time I go to Stop & Shop.
The history of the national anthem being played apparently goes back to World War I and the 1918 World Series.  I’ve read varying accounts, but it seems to boil down to propaganda.  The US was a very tense place during World War I, and sedition laws were being enforced with extreme prejudice.  Neighbors were encouraged to rat out neighbors who were not being patriotic enough (forget about being disloyal, you could get in trouble for not displaying enough enthusiasm for the government).  It was a dark time.
That’s when it became a thing to play the anthem.  It fell somewhat into disuse until World War II.  After that, if you wanted to watch a ball game, you had to stand for the anthem.  This was about the same time, by the way, when “under God” was added to the Pledge.
Now don’t get me wrong.  I have nothing against the National Anthem other than the music which I don’t care for.  Oh, and its third stanza which could be taken to approve of the death of slaves (probably those who fought for the British on the promise of freedom).  
But the anthem is really a creature of the state and is most appropriate for state functions.  Or the Olympics, where you’re representing your country.
This whole idea of playing it at games is somewhat of a puzzlement to people from other countries.  German soccer players recently decided to take a knee before their games in support of their American brothers as well as support for just treatment of all people in Germany (they have their own issues these days).  They couldn’t kneel during their anthem, however, because it wasn’t played.
So, without wanting to take attention away from the very real issues of police brutality and other forms of discrimination that have been so much a part of American life, I suggest that the best way to deal with the national anthem and sports is to quit playing it.  Period.  
Just stop. 
The two do not belong together.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s All On Kavanaugh

The Senate is set to vote on Brett Kavanaugh as early as today (Thursday, October 4), though they might wait till Friday.  The FBI turned in its report before 8:00 AM today, a whole day earlier than necessary and without interviewing many of the key players in this sham of a game. The biggest sham in the entire debacle, however, is that this is some “sh*t show” as a former high school classmate put it.  That the mean Democrats have somehow made this all up just to derail President Trump’s wonderful nominee.  They’re playing politics, say the Republicans. There are several holes in this theory, and I will try to enumerate them here as dispassionately as I can: If you want to see “playing politics” with a Supreme Court nominee, look no further than Merrick Garland.  Remember him?  He was a moderate but highly rated judge even among Republicans.  They simply chose - out of thin air - to refuse to give him a hearing.  With nearly a year before the ...

"All's Well That Ends Well?" Sermon preached on August 20, 2017

What a week it’s been, huh?  Just last Sunday, I was preaching to you about the Neo-Nazi march in Charlottesville, Virginia that ended so tragically in murder and countless fights. Throughout the week, the tensions mounted with questions of what should be said about it and what constitutes free speech, and are Nazis really such bad guys anyway?   Then, yesterday, in Boston, the white supremacists were to have another rally in Boston.  If the Boston Globe is to be believed, they counted about fifty white supremacists and roughly 40,000 counter-protesters - just to show what this country really thinks of them. The bad guys - and it is fair to say from the pulpit that there is nothing good in Nazi or white supremacist ideology - were sent packing.  So, that takes care of that, right?  All’s well that ends well, right? Um… I think you know the answer to that.   If you don’t, maybe our scriptures can help.  Let's look at Joseph in Genesis. ...

My Rules of Engagement

MY RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: I have been troubled for a long time with the declining lack of civility in public discourse.  This is especially true in comment sections of nearly every forum and is particularly insidious on FaceBook.  I have been a part of this, and I’m repenting of the wrong.   Not that I will no longer comment, but I will no longer engage in the long back-and-forth’s of old.  They are not helpful - in fact, they lead to abuse of the one who might dare to stand up and disagree (regardless of what side they choose).  So, here are my new rules of engagement when it comes to controversial or charged issues.  Pray that I may faithfully adhere to them, and know that they are there because I love and respect you: In the Spirit of Matthew 18:15 , if I have a problem with what you write, I will not attack you in the comment section.  Rather, I will PM you and lay out my arguments as reasonably, civilly and lovingly as I am able.  I ...