Skip to main content

More on Immigration

This is a letter I wrote to the congregation after my return from a trip to South Africa where I helped lead a retreat on being peacemakers in a world of fear.

I missed a lot while I was away through nearly all of June.  I missed two Sundays - where I heard you even sang together as part of the sermon.  I missed planning meetings - and nearly missed the Luau!
One other thing I missed was a Vigil last Saturday that took place across the country and throughout our region by churches of every conceivable denomination.  The vigil was a Christian response to the separation of children from their parents seeking asylum at the southern border.  I felt bad missing the Vigil, especially since I had gotten home from South Africa the night before.  Jet lag and the time difference kept me out of things, however, and I slept while others prayed.
Since St. James’ was only modestly represented at these vigils (we DID have a few members of the parish take part, and for that I am thankful) - I feel it my obligation to let you know my thoughts on the separation of children and the faith community’s response.
To be brief, I stand with all those who protest these separation.  It is, and can only be seen by Christians, as reprehensible.  There are theological and practical reasons for this.  Firstly, there is nothing in scripture to justify the hostile response these refugees receive.  There is no scriptural justification for closing the borders the way we do in modern society. Indeed, scripture anticipated immigrants and refugees (from war, famine, and poverty) - and commanded that the faithful welcome them and treat them with kindness and hospitality.
If one is to actually follow Christ, one must see all those crossing our borders - regardless of “legal” status - as brothers and sisters in need, a need we ignore at peril to our souls.
On a practical level, these immigrants and refugees do not pose a threat to us.  Studies have repeatedly shown that immigrants tend to be LESS inclined toward violence than home-bred citizens.  Terrorism - with a few obvious exceptions - has been predominantly perpetrated by natural citizens.  Communities are safer when they include immigrants.  
Moreover, immigrants (including refugees) contribute far more to our society than they take.  Indeed, undocumented immigrants can’t take much since they aren’t eligibility for things like Welfare or Medicaid.  They take jobs nobody else wants.  It’s automation and off-shoring that eliminates the good-paying jobs.
As Christians, we are called to put ourselves in the shoes of those who risk life, limb, and imprisonment in order to come here.  Why would they do such a thing?  Why would they risk the lives of their children to make such a tortuous journey with such uncertain prospects?  It’s not because they think there’s easy money here.  The days are over of people coming from Central and South America just for some quick work to send home.  Especially Mexico sees very few of its citizens cross the border for a better life.  
Those who come here are mostly from countries where it is too dangerous to stay.  Where their lives, and those of their families have been threatened, or where a family member has already been harmed.  Nobody undertakes such journeys lightly.  As Christians, then, we are called upon to consider their desperation in the midst of our relative comfort.  This is precisely the time to ask ourselves not only what Jesus would do, but what does Jesus expect of us as individuals and as a nation.
In short, while I was unable to attend the Vigil or any of the protests against separating immigrant children from their parents, I fully support this movement and urge you to do so.  In today’s news (Thursday), it was noted that while the president has changed his mind about separating families, no children have as yet actually been reunited with their parents.  I can hope and pray that by the time you read this, that will have changed.  But as with many things run by human beings, if someone isn’t standing over their shoulders, it is likely that the families will remain separated, languishing in fear and depression within the confines of chain-link cages.  

We are better than that.  More importantly, we are commanded by Christ to do better.  After all, these are not “illegals.”  They are our family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s All On Kavanaugh

The Senate is set to vote on Brett Kavanaugh as early as today (Thursday, October 4), though they might wait till Friday.  The FBI turned in its report before 8:00 AM today, a whole day earlier than necessary and without interviewing many of the key players in this sham of a game. The biggest sham in the entire debacle, however, is that this is some “sh*t show” as a former high school classmate put it.  That the mean Democrats have somehow made this all up just to derail President Trump’s wonderful nominee.  They’re playing politics, say the Republicans. There are several holes in this theory, and I will try to enumerate them here as dispassionately as I can: If you want to see “playing politics” with a Supreme Court nominee, look no further than Merrick Garland.  Remember him?  He was a moderate but highly rated judge even among Republicans.  They simply chose - out of thin air - to refuse to give him a hearing.  With nearly a year before the ...

"All's Well That Ends Well?" Sermon preached on August 20, 2017

What a week it’s been, huh?  Just last Sunday, I was preaching to you about the Neo-Nazi march in Charlottesville, Virginia that ended so tragically in murder and countless fights. Throughout the week, the tensions mounted with questions of what should be said about it and what constitutes free speech, and are Nazis really such bad guys anyway?   Then, yesterday, in Boston, the white supremacists were to have another rally in Boston.  If the Boston Globe is to be believed, they counted about fifty white supremacists and roughly 40,000 counter-protesters - just to show what this country really thinks of them. The bad guys - and it is fair to say from the pulpit that there is nothing good in Nazi or white supremacist ideology - were sent packing.  So, that takes care of that, right?  All’s well that ends well, right? Um… I think you know the answer to that.   If you don’t, maybe our scriptures can help.  Let's look at Joseph in Genesis. ...

My Rules of Engagement

MY RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: I have been troubled for a long time with the declining lack of civility in public discourse.  This is especially true in comment sections of nearly every forum and is particularly insidious on FaceBook.  I have been a part of this, and I’m repenting of the wrong.   Not that I will no longer comment, but I will no longer engage in the long back-and-forth’s of old.  They are not helpful - in fact, they lead to abuse of the one who might dare to stand up and disagree (regardless of what side they choose).  So, here are my new rules of engagement when it comes to controversial or charged issues.  Pray that I may faithfully adhere to them, and know that they are there because I love and respect you: In the Spirit of Matthew 18:15 , if I have a problem with what you write, I will not attack you in the comment section.  Rather, I will PM you and lay out my arguments as reasonably, civilly and lovingly as I am able.  I ...